Starting a website and getting your domain name (website address) is really pretty simple. You decide on your domain name, purchase your domain name and then setup your hosting using WordPress as your content management system. And the reason I suggest WordPress is that it will allow you to grow and give you the ability to build your website and have it look anyway you want it to. The first step is to figure out and decide on your domain name. Here are some tips for creating a domain name.
- First of all do a little research. Google counselors/therapists in your area. A simple way is to type in “counselors” and your city and state. See what comes up.
- I would highly recommend that you include the word “counseling”, “therapy”, or “psychotherapy” along with either your name or your location in your domain name. Or any other word or words that describe what you do and/or where you are. (Examples: “johnsmithcounseling.com”, “baysviewtherapy.com”, “brooksidetherapists.com”)
- When you have researched and come up with a name, enter it here to see if it is available.
Disclaimer: The links on this page for BlueHost are affiliate links. This means that we receive a commission and compensation, at no extra cost to you, if you decide to purchase services from BlueHost. The recommendations are given in good faith based on the opinion and experience of the author of this webpage.
Next you will purchase the name and setup your hosting. I really do recommend that you use BlueHost for this.
Bluehost is the only hosting service officially recommended by WordPress and has been the number-one recommended hosting service for their platform for almost 10 years. There are many reasons why Bluehost is so highly recommended, but here are just a few:
- Premium customer service, reliability and usability
- Easy-to-use control panel
- Custom-built servers to provide the most stable and reliable hosting environment
- Quickly get started with our one-click WordPress install provided by MOJO Marketplace
- Expert, in-house technical support provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Unlimited websites, email accounts, and domains – all on one account at an affordable price
- No gimmicks, no contracts. Enjoy the comfort of a 30-day money back guarantee and the option to cancel at any time.
If you sign-up through The Practice of Therapy, you’ll get a special offer of shared hosting at $3.95/month for 36 months, as well as a free domain name for a year!
Set-Up Your Hosting
Choose your domain name or if you already have a domain name you can transfer to BlueHost.
Once you enter your domain name, you will enter your personal information to setup your account.
Choose your hosting package. The longer term you choose the better value it is with a lower monthly rate. For example by choosing a 36 month hosting term you can get the introductory rate of $3.95/month.
Next it will ask you to create your password. Now you are signed up!
Login to your account and go to the CPanel and scroll to the “MOJO Marketplace” and choose “One-Click Installs”.
All you do next is click on the WordPress button under the “Blogs” section.
In the next window click the “Start” a brand new install button. This will take you through the process of installing WordPress.
You will pick where you want to install WordPress; unless you have some strong tech savvy, I would just suggest you install it right in the first choice which will be the “root directory”.
Next you will check “Advanced Options” and enter a username and password to be used for logging into your WordPress dashboard.
Agree to the terms of service and click on “Install Now”.
You will then see a progress page and once it has installed you will get a URL to the WordPress Admin page to login to your dashboard for WordPress. You will get an email with information about your login URL, but it will not contain your password. So remember or keep your password in a safe place.
That’s It! You can now start creating your website.
I would suggest that if you do not have a lot of tech savvy, that you do spend some time on learning how to use WordPress. One YouTube Channel that I like that has a lot of tutorials on WordPress is WebTegrity.
The other resource I highly recommend for do-it-yourself website creation is “Create My Therapy Website Toolbox”. This is a complete course that will walk you through setting up a website and using WordPress.